Up and At Em’

Teachers and students are adjusting to the hybrid schedule again, and with expectations of coming back to all in person, online learners are left to adapt to a new school environment from their own beds.

With many differing opinions and how to proceed with COVID-19 restrictions, the Douglas County School District Board of Education decided on March 2 that all middle school and high school students within our district will be attending in-school learning, five days a week. Sophomore Elijah Schmidt made the decision to stay in full remote learning after winter break.

I understand how hard it can be in an online learning environment to stay diligent and focused on your studies. If you’re someone who struggles with something like ADHD or other things that could affect your ability to focus or comprehend what you’re hearing, I would say your best bet is to stay in person,” Schmidt said.

With his peers and teachers making the switch to hybrid learning again, he has had to adjust to the changing assignments, workload, and overall virtual class environment.

I’ve been living by the philosophy of ‘roll with the punches’ except instead of rolling with the punches, it’s like trying to swim upstream through a river,” Schmidt said.

Since last March, online learning has had its share of challenges for students and teachers alike. With states like Texas deciding to fully open up, many other states seem to be considering doing the same. The definition of normalcy has changed dramatically since the start of COVID-19, and it seems to finally be going back to where the world was before.

“Given the state of our world right now, my recommendation is always to stay at home where it’s safe and you aren’t putting others at risk,” Schmidt said.

Although many students and teachers are excited about being able to learn in a classroom together again, Schmidt is continuing to face challenges in adjusting to school, from his own room.