Glad to Grad

Catching up with the class of 2021s’ early-grad seniors

Every other year, students from the senior class have the option to graduate early if they meet the right requirements. Due to COVID-19 and many altered school schedules, the choice to graduate early has imprinted itself in many people’s brains.

Given that the end of the first semester was the first chance for seniors to graduate, senior Mikaila Gabbett seized the opportunity.

“I had to meet all the normal Castle View requirements within the first semester of senior year in order to graduate. I also had to get approval from my parents and counselor,” Gabbett said.

Being able to graduate early meant that students must’ve had all the required credit hours and typically, their finished community service hours. Due to COVID-19 restrictions this year, students were able to graduate early despite having hours recorded.

“I feel like I have a lot more time to do things I want to do, it’s also easier to go onto trips because I’m not stuck within the limitations of school breaks or weekends,” Gabbett said. “I hope to continue to do more of what I enjoy as well as work more to save my money, I don’t have any specific steps but I’m sure I will soon.”

Similar to Gabbett, senior Riley Fleck also chose to graduate early this winter. Fleck agrees that graduating early was a beneficial decision.

“Life’s been pretty easy since I graduated, kind of like a weight was lifted off my shoulders but as of now there’s not many exciting things to do,” Fleck said.

Without having to focus on school, Fleck finds himself needing other ways to spend his time. Without the worry of school, Fleck continues to plan ahead.

“With my early grad I have a lot of free time and I’ve been spending the majority of it enjoying myself but also spending time looking at colleges and jobs,” Fleck said. “As of now, I’ve been looking into a lot of things I could do for college trying to figure out what subjects I’m interested in and things I think would be easy for me.”

Though the opportunity seems missed, seniors still have a chance to graduate early if requested. By chance, senior Zoe Vernon also happens to be an early grad, though to accommodate her schedule, it’s not time just yet.

“I could have graduated in December, but with having a job and the major stress I was already under because of school I didn’t want to add one more class on my plate and over-stress myself,” Vernon said.

Unlike graduating in the winter, all Vernon had to do was finish up her credits within one last quarter of high school.

“It’s different from graduating in December because I have a whole other term to get through, but luckily I only needed one more class so it makes life really easy,” said Vernon.

The choice to graduate early has allowed Vernon to continue to map out her career path. The extra time on her hands will allow Vernon to continue to save up money.

“Right now I’m working about 35 hours a week so that I can save up money for college and move out. I’m going to take the spring and summer off to work and then start taking a few classes in the fall,” Vernon said. “I’m wanting to pursue a career in law enforcement and investigation, so after I graduate I’m going to look into any programs the CRPD might offer for students.”