Hitting the Books

Student athlete Ashlyn Acree talks about how she juggles sports and school

Ryley Lee

After a long day of stressful school work, junior Ashlyn Acree leads her team on the softball field. Even though they don’t win every game, the Sabercats are ready for their game at Heritage. Acree was able to keep up her grades so she could play in as many games with her team as possible. “I balance school and sports by taking school really seriously and my social life is pretty much my softball team which it’s nice having a really supportive team. Also, they help me throughout my school and stuff like that,” Acree said.

Student athlete mental health is one of the things that many people agree is not talked about enough. Junior Ashlyn Acree struggles with her mental health while maintaining good grades and a successful, but busy, softball career. 

“I have practice from 3:30 to 5:45 every day and then I go home and try to get my homework done and then I eat dinner and go to bed,” Acree said. 

She has been on varsity since freshman year and is taking advanced classes, causing her to struggle more with mental health and anxiety. Acree focuses on prioritizing school first and working on softball. 

“If you don’t have good grades you can’t play,” Acree said. 

Even though she does focus on getting her school work done first, Acree still struggles with mental health and gets overwhelmed easily. 

“It’s challenging doing harder classes along with sports. Softball practice is every day after school, which doesn’t leave a lot of time for homework and stuff. I can manage, but it does get overwhelming,” Acree said. 

Acree says that when she is feeling stressed or overwhelmed, she likes to get her negative emotions out by playing softball. 

“Softball really calms me down because I get to hang out with my friends and play the sport I love, which gets me thinking elsewhere,” Acree said. 

Many people will agree that the mental health of student athletes is incredibly important and not talked about enough.