Castle View Student Media

Castle View VS Bear Creek

MARK DOWSEY and JOHN CONGER –

The View –  

DC Stadium, Castle Rock –The Bear Creek Bears were the first to score in Castle View’s, non-conference, season opener in which the Sabercats lost 14-3.

The game was knotted at zero until Bear Creek’s second drive of the first quarter when the punt-return team did their job and returned a Sabercat punt for the first touchdown of the game, followed up by a field goal to put them up 7-0.

The Castle View kicker, David Gonzalez ‘17, put up the points for the Sabercats with a 4th down, 42-yard field goal in the first quarter. This brought the score within 4 points, but Bear Creek still held the a lead.  

Late in the third quarter, Bear Creek lengthened its gap over the Sabercats with a touchdown from a pass. The TD ran into the end zone and the score moved to 14-3.

With a couple of forced turnovers by the Sabercats defense, the offense failed to make a late run and the Bears defense took advantage, intercepting the ball and running out the clock.

The Sabercats head coach, Dustin Pfeiffer, reflected on the loss after the game.

“We can’t make simple mistakes.” said Pfeiffer, “We’ve been practicing that stuff and we can’t do it.”

The Sabercats have their homecoming game on Sept. 11 against Heritage High School at Douglas County Stadium.

In her state of awe, Alex Loyola '17 was stoked for the new football season to start up. "I love the first game of every season," said Loyola. "Even though it gets cold, it doesn't stop me from going all out."

In her state of awe, Alex Loyola ’17 was stoked for the new football season to start up. “I love the first game of every season,” said Loyola. “Even though it gets cold, it doesn’t stop me from going all out.”

As football players jumble together to try and save the ball, they miss it by an inch. "It's so hard to be on the sidelines and not be pumped about what is going on," Brody Esslinger '17 said.

As football players jumble together to try and save the ball, they miss it by an inch. “It’s so hard to be on the sidelines and not be pumped about what is going on,” Brody Esslinger ’17 said.