Preparation For The SAT

As the annual SAT test is right around the corner for juniors at Castle View, preparation may be the key to success

Junior%2C+Mia+Wibbens+takes+the+SAT+head-on+as+she+studies+non-stop+for+this+upcoming+test.+Wibbens+uses+the+practice+tests+on+Khan+Academy+to+her+advantage+so+she+can+bump+her+score+up+this+year.+%E2%80%9CI+really+hope+that+this+year+I+can+increase+my+score%2C+as+they+have+been+very+similar+the+past+few+years%2C%E2%80%9D+Wibbens+said.+Castle+View+students+have+mentally+begun+preparing+for+the+SAT.+

Junior, Mia Wibbens takes the SAT head-on as she studies non-stop for this upcoming test. Wibbens uses the practice tests on Khan Academy to her advantage so she can bump her score up this year. “I really hope that this year I can increase my score, as they have been very similar the past few years,” Wibbens said. Castle View students have mentally begun preparing for the SAT.

With the month of February nearing, that means less time to prepare for the SAT and more time filled with stress and chasing perfection. The SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) is a test created and administered by the College Board.

Junior Mia Wibbens has begun her preparation for the SAT and is currently feeling mixed emotions.

“I am feeling pretty nervous as the test is around the corner. I am hoping to do well and increase my scores, so now that it is crunch time, studying will be my best ally,” Wibbens said.

Wibbens has taken the PSAT (Pre-Scholastic Aptitude Test) for the past three years and has seen similar results each year, so hopefully this year they will be different.

“The first year I felt pretty decent about it, second year I was just a bit less confident, and the third year my confidence went down. The PSAT may have helped me, may have not, but now I am familiar with the structure,” Wibbens said.

With many different resources students can use, Wibbens has taken advantage of only one of the many available to help for the SAT.

“I plan to take a class to prepare for the SAT. I would love to get my scores up and considering the University of WashingtonI wish to apply to require it, I want to study as hard as I can with as much help as I am allowed,” Wibbens said.

As far as the SAT goes, Wibbens shares her personal thoughts about this test and why it is reasonable or not for colleges to just look at these scores. 

“I think it is a bit unrealistic to have all students complete this “seemingly” basic understanding of concepts when in reality everyone thinks and learns so differently. I also think it is unfortunate that we as students have to take a test that determines our acceptance into college,” Wibbens said.

Lastly, it may be best to take advice from someone who is more experienced and has the knowledge of what’s to come. Start getting prepared ahead of time when it may matter most.

“I would tell anyone to just take time to look over practice questions and really start taking the time to understand the structure of the questions. Try to find ways around the complex facade and focus on the simplicity that will be your answer,” WIbbens said.