A No-Go HOCO

The Real-Life Pressure of Homecoming

Homecoming, one of the first big dances in a student’s high school career. The dresses, the lights, and the entire stigma surrounding this milestone of the high school year.  Along with all the excitement comes a tremendous amount of pressure on both the boy and the girl. But the most pressure is derived from the nerves of ‘asking them out.’

Homecoming is a source of lots of stress that occurs due to pressure from people, friends, including my friend, Sophomore Ethan Weiter.

“I was very pressured. By my friends almost constantly,” Wieter said. “It was really stressful because they were constantly trying to get us together.” 

Pressure from friends can be a huge part of the unnecessary pressure that is caused around homecoming.

I know what you’re saying you’re probably thinking what’s this got to do with me. Be patient I’m getting there. It’s important not to let fear rule your life and submit to every uncomfortable situation.

The way I see it, you can go in two directions. You can lie in bed, thinking about life’s futility, and feel sorry for yourself.

“Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, ‘Where have I gone wrong?’ Then a voice says to me ‘This is going to take more than one night’”, Charlie Brown said.

You can sit there regretting your decision to wimp out, and wonder what would’ve happened.

Or, you can just ask this simple phrase, ‘Will you go to Homecoming with me?’