Castle View Student Media

Opinion on Net Neutrality

Kellan Wood, CVTV Staffer

Before I start this article, I want to explain what net neutrality is tor the readers that don’t. The internet is not free here in America, so US consumers needs to purchase it through one of a few companies such as Comcast or CenturyLink. Net neutrality states that because the consumer paid for something they need (because can any one of you think of a time that you can not live without the internet or your phones), the consumer is allowed to access everything on the internet.

Now, if net neutrality where to end on December 14th companies would be able to control bandwidth (browsing speed) of certain web sites such as Netflix and Amazon because they’re very popular, and they could force them to pay extra to get that bandwidth back or be dropped by the provider. Another consequence of the revocation of net neutrality is the bundling of internet resources such streaming services for an inflated rate or an unfair extra price to use this sect of the internet.

There are other results for internet providers ending net neutrality but I would suggest you doing further research for yourself. As most of you are able to tell there are two sides to this issue, pro-provider or pro-neutrality. Me, personally, I am pro-neutrality. I think that the internet should be a free and open market and should be fully accessible to everybody. I also think the internet should be provided but that is a different issue altogether.

Getting back on topic, the biggest problem I have with the potential end to net neutrality is the prospect of bundling. I have a huge problem with the bundling because let’s say you pay for everything in the internet but forget to pay the entertainment package so you will no longer have the ability to watch Netflix or YouTube. This will allow the service provider to charge inflated rates. That is all I have to say about this topic. If you wish to know more please do your own research and form your own opinion. And if you are pro-neutrality I implore you to speak out and tell people in power how important this issue is and why net neutrality needs to exist.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Opinion on Net Neutrality”

1. Connor Schneider on December 14th, 2017 10:26 am

Net Neutrality is incredibly important, this is a wonderful article that shows the urgency of the problem. If anybody sees this and believes that they could have a say in this country, text “RESIST” to 50409 to contact our C0lorado representative to speak your mind. The chairman of the FCC, Ajit Pai, it the villain behind the fight against Net Neutrality. He has stated many times that he simply does not care that there is a nationwide resistance against him. Not only does this restriction of Internet freedom make us pay an insane amount of money for things that have been free in the past, it can also censor news sites, and therefore restrict the First Amendment. This is important for everybody, Republican, Democrat, Conservative, Liberal, black, white, gay, straight, everybody who isn’t a greedy politician or businessman should be fighting against the removal of our Internet freedom. Keep the Internet a free place, join the fight.

2. Brenda McKinney on December 17th, 2017 10:43 pm

Net neutrality is just a term, there is not an established or widely accepted legal (or technical) definition of HOW it’s done. So really individual rights groups, governments and providers all have different proposals for what “net neutrality” is (to them). In my years of working with the government, for the government and for the private sector I have seen both sides of the coin. Up to this point in my life I believe it would be a mistake to entrust any government with this responsibility. If they do, it has to be along the lines of the performance they provide to users (guaranteed bandwidth, uptime/availability, packet loss … much like they were worried with for telecommunications networks). However we live in a complex data world and IP switched traffic than it was for telephony (which was a regulated monopoly). I still truly believe competition will drive the internet. It’s all sharing in the cost of one common “last mile” infrastructure (fiber to the home largely, and restructure the RF spectrum use/allocation rules) — and make that physical network open, available to any provider to build to a common point of presence. Many providers can then reasonably compete, and the free market will regulate itself. The alternative is trusting our government to regulate fairness.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.