ACT or SAT?

Both the ACT and SAT are tests that are important to students, but which one isn’t always clear. There are some students who take both and some who just take one of the two.

Some don’t know the difference between the two, but according to blog.prepscholar.com,The SAT contains three sections: Reading, Math, and Writing and Language. The ACT contains four sections: Reading, Math, English, and Science. Both also have an optional essay. Each section has a different format on the ACT compared to the SAT, but only a few differences really matter.”

Anna Murphy ‘17 decided to take both. “I took both because it would better my chances, some people do better on one test so I wanted to see which one that was for me. Having a better score could increase my chances in getting scholarship money, so that was my main focus,” said Murphy ‘17.

On the other hand, Mary Huddy ‘17 decided to only take the ACT. “The colleges that I was interested in only required one or another. I took the ACT rather than the SAT, because my class was required to take it in school,” said Huddy ‘17.

This year, the junior class is required to take SAT in school, while the ACT is optional. Some students aren’t very happy, “I ordered multiple ACT prep books and spent a lot of money to prepare for it, just for it to be changed to the SAT,” said Brooklyn Pederson ‘18.

On the other hand, there are students who really don’t care about the change, “I don’t even know the difference, so it really doesn’t effect me that much honestly,” said Preston Smith ‘18.