For or Against Cat Dissection?

Students say how they feel about dissecting cats.

In Human Anatomy and Physiology, the students get the chance to dissect a cat, it’s an experience that not everyone gets to experience.

Not everyone was too fond of this dissection, as cats are household pets to many students. “The thought of the dissection didn’t really bother too much at first, but when I saw a cat that looked just like my own I wasn’t exactly excited to start cutting it open,” said Katie Cruz ‘17.

This dissection was really important to the curriculum to give students a more hands on experience with the tissue types they had just learned about according to Mr. Glinche. Some students really love this part of the class and look forward to it, like Ryan Kelly ‘17.

“I was honestly pretty excited for the cat dissection, because it’s not something you get to see everyday. I thought it was cool how we get to see how the cats body can compare to our human body as well,” said Kelly ‘17.

Some students who have Human Anatomy and Physiology later on in the year don’t know how they are going to like it. “I think it will be super cool, but at the same time cats are so cute and I think it will be kind of sad to see them dead,” said Michaela Kelly ‘17.

Although it’s hard for some students, this dissection is crucial to the class and is a must when it comes to learning about the body on a deeper level, rather than just looking at diagrams in a text book.

Students at Castle View who take Human Anatomy and Physiology get to take the experience of dissecting cats with them after leaving the class, which for some, is very cool.