Plonsky’s Graphic Design Future

After accepting the opportunity Plonsky set out to sketch some ideas to present to the district nutrition services.
Caitlin Wells

After her logos were approved and printed on signs for the cafeteria, Plonsky was able to see and share her passion with the student body.

Twisted Fork, The Underground, and PersuASIAN are just some of the new cafeteria restaurants with logos designed by a Castle View senior Kristen Plonsky.

At the end of the year, the district nutrition services manager, Amy Faricy sought out volunteers to help with a new look in lunchrooms across the district. She met with Plonsky and a few other students to pitch her ideas about 8 new self-serve stations to be added to schools the following year.

“This project happened to be during election week when I was running for Junior Class President and a week before prom, so I was busy, but I thought that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to start my design career,” said Plonsky.

Her freshman year, Plonsky joined yearbook pursuing an interest in photography, the adviser and other editors suggested the design editor position for her upcoming sophomore year.. “I began as a staff member in yearbook and I learned a lot from our editor in chief. The next year I applied for the coverage editor position but ended up with the design position. I had to learn the basics of design from other designers and YouTube tutorials.”

Her creativity and hard work has earned her some amazing awards including All Colorado for the 2015-2016 yearbook, the highest award possible.

Plonsky is planning on graduating high school one year early and doing an internship with the yearbook printing company, Jostens. She would like to attend college a year later and major in graphic design or design and visual communications.

“Eventually I would like to be a designer for a magazine or work for a company that designs logos just like the ones I did for the district,” said Plonsky.

Along with the newly designed lunch signs, students, staff, and members of the community can see her work in the 2016-2017 yearbook when it is distributed to the school in early May.

Caitlin Wells